June 24, 2009
PENTAX ANNOUNCES ITS MOST SHOCK AND WATERPROOF DIGITAL COMPACT CAMERA EVER: THE OPTIO W80
GOLDEN, CO (June 24, 2009)…The manufacturerthat builds digital cameras to go boldly where none have gone before hasannounced the PENTAX Optio W80. More adventure-proofthan ever, this latest PENTAX digital camera is waterproof, dustproof, coldproof,and now shockproof enough to withstand impact from a fall of more than threefeet (one meter).
PENTAX firstintroduced dunkable digital cameras in 2003 to the delight of outdoorenthusiasts, travelers and families everywhere. Today, the PENTAX Optio W80's waterproofdesign withstands depths of up to 16 feet (5 meters) to protect from rain andspills, as well as allowing full underwater photos and video for up to twohours. On dry land, the rugged, shockproofdesign protects against drops of up to 3.3 feet to protect the camera from harduse and occasional spills. Alsofeaturing 12.1 megapixels, a 5X internal optical zoom (equivalent to 28-140mm),a slim one inch body, and a wide angle 28mm lens, the Optio W80 offers an expandedperspective that is ideal for landscape, group and more confined shots. With a PENTAX-developed imaging engine and ahigh-performance PENTAX zoom lens, the Optio W80 delivers brilliant, high-qualityimages with well-defined details. ASuper Protect (SP) coating applied to the mineral crystal cover of the internalzoom lens helps repel water, grime and finger marks.
Other importantfeatures in the Optio W80 include a:
- Coldproof design that allows the camera to be used in sub-freezing temperatures of 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 degrees Celsius), ideal for cold weather activities such as skiing and snowmobiling.
- 2.5 inch LCD monitor that features anti-reflective coating, making it easy to view, even in bright sunlight.
- Widescreen, HD movie capture that records resolutions up to 1280x720 pixels at full-speed 30 frames per second.
- Fast Face Detection technology that sees up to 32 faces in 0.03 seconds, with Smile Capture and Blink Detection, for perfect portrait shots.
- Pixel Track Shake Reduction (SR) that ensures sharp images in any lighting condition, without adding high ISO noise. Digital SR and Movie SR are also available.
- Close focusing, Super Macro mode that brings out the details in even the smallest subjects as close as 1 cm (less than one inch).
Available inCardinal Red, Azure Blue and Gunmetal Gray, the Optio W80 will be available inJuly 2009 for $299.95 USD. To help keepthe Optio W80 fresh and at hand, PENTAX offers a custom designed clear protectiveskin ($16.95 USD) and a comfortable floating wrist strap ($19.95 USD). More information about the Optio W80 andthese accessories is available at: www.pentaximaging.com
and preorders may be placed now at www.pentaxwebstore.com. Product images are availablehere: http://www.pentaximaging.com/press/pressfiles.html.
PENTAX Imaging Company is an innovativeleader in the production of a variety of digital cameras including weatherresistant digital SLRs and compact, waterproof cameras, as well as lenses,flash units, binoculars, scopes, and eyepieces. For 90 years, PENTAX has developed durable, reliable products that meetthe needs of consumers and businesses. With headquarters in Golden,Colorado, PENTAX Imaging Company is a division of PENTAX of America, Inc.
# # #
OPTIO W80 FACT SHEET
Enhanced rugged performance
With the most waterand airtight external joints ever, PENTAX has improved the Optio W80'sunderwater performance to more than 16 feet for up to two hours of continuousoperation. Along with this outstandingJIS Class 8 waterproof rating, the Optio W80 provides JIS Class 6 dustproof andcoldproof performance for reliable operation at temperatures as low as 14degrees F (-10 degrees C).
New shockproof performance
Withshock-absorbent material positioned throughout the Optio W80's rigid anddurable interior design, the Optio W80 will withstand impact from a fall from aheight of more than three feet (one meter)* without damage to the body for reliabilityeven in harsh shooting conditions.
* Measured under PENTAX-original testingstandards (from a height of one meter, onto a surface of 5cm-thick plywood),conforming to MIL-STD 810F Method 516.5-Shock.
Optical 5X zoom lens for excellent zoomcoverage from wide angle to telephoto
TheOptio W80 features an optical 5X zoom lens covering focal lengths from 28mmwide angle to 140mm telephoto. With thiswide zoom range, the Optio W80 may be used for a variety of challengingsubjects and scenes including landscapes, architecture, large group shots and tightsnapshots from a distance. For a tighter zoom on subjects, an Intelligent Zoomfunction extends the zoom range to approximately 31.3X.
High-quality HD-Widescreen movie recording
TheOptio W80 captures beautiful, flawless, high-definition movie clips at 16:9 TVproportions (1280 x 720 pixels)* at a frame rate of 30 frames per second. Thecamera also is equipped with advanced features designed to facilitate highquality movie recording:
- Movie SR (Shake Reduction) mode automatically compensates camera shake during movie shooting
- Underwater Movie mode automatically optimizes color for underwater movie shooting.
*When the Optio W80's AV output terminal is used, movieclips are output as NTSC/PAL data. If the user wishes to play back movie clipsat high-definition-TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels), the data must betransferred to a personal computer for playback.
Triple anti-shake protection
Pixel Track SRmode
When recording still images, the OptioW80's Pixel Track SR (Shake Reduction) mode effectively compensates for camerashake by processing the amount of image blur with a dedicated ASIC. PixelTrack SR tracks motion blur at the pixel level and calculates blur volume inreal time. After exposure, the recovery filter centers the motion effect aroundeach pixel to compartmentalize the blur. Then, an adjustment filter sharpens the pixels to help remove the blureffect. Pixel Track SR results in sharp images without adding high ISO noise.
High-Sensitivity SR mode*
The OptioW80 automatically raises the sensitivity setting to as high as ISO 6400 when itdetects low-lighting conditions in still-image shooting so that a highershutter speed may be used. This effectively minimizes adverse effects of camerashake and subject blur under poor lighting conditions.
* When the High-Sensitivity SR mode isselected, the recorded size is fixed to 5M (2592 x 1944 pixels).
Movie SR mode*
Duringmovie recording, the Optio W80 prevents blurry images by effectively minimizingannoying camera shake.
* When the Movie SR mode is selected, the angle of viewbecomes narrower than normal shooting.
Auto Picture mode for automatic selection of eight differentshooting modes
The Optio W80features the PENTAX-original Auto Picture mode, which automatically selects themost appropriate shooting mode for a given subject or scene by detecting thesubject's lighting and other conditions. This user-friendly feature chooses thebest mode choice for the photographer (from Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene,Night Scene Portrait, Flower, Sport, Standard and Candlelight modes).
Automatic FaceDetection of up to 32 faces in a mere 0.03 seconds
TheOptio W80 features the advanced Face Detection AF & AE function for moreaccurate people shots. This functionautomatically detects up to 32 faces in the image field, and then optimizesfocus and exposure settings in about 0.03 seconds. The Optio W80 is alsoequipped with the Smile Capture mode, which automatically releases the shutterthe moment the camera detects the subject's smile and a Blink Detectionfunction, which warns the photographer if a subject's eyes close at the time ofshutter release.
Large LCD monitor for effortless outdoor viewing
TheOptio W80 features a large 2.5 inch high-brightness color LCD monitor withapproximately 230,000 dots. This monitor is treated with a special AR(Anti-Reflection) coating to cut the glare of external light and minimizeannoying reflections, making it easy to view recorded images even in brightsunlight.
- An Auto Macro mode records dramatic close-up images of a subject from close as one centimeter.
- A Digital Wide function to compose extra-wide-angle images (equivalent to an image taken with an approx. 21mm lens in 35mm format) from two images.
- An AF-assisting spot beam projector (ON/OFF switchable) assists auto focusing operation in the dark.
- A new D-Range setting to prevent overexposed (washed-out) and underexposed (blacked-out) areas in an image.
- A decorative frame composite function to shoot or compose images with 90 photo frame selections stored in the camera.
- 20 digital filters, including Toy Camera and Retro, add distinctive visual effects to recorded images.
- ACDSee for PENTAX 3.0 image viewing, editing and filing software included (compatible with Windows VistaTM).
PENTAX and Optio are trademarksof HOYA CORPORATION.
All other brands or product names are trademarks or registered trademarks oftheir respective companies.
This product supports PRINT Image Matching III. PRINT Image Matching enableddigital still cameras, printers and software help photographers to produceimages more faithful to their intentions. Some functions are not available onprinters that are not PRINT Image Matching III compliant.
Copyright 2001 Seiko Epson Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Print Image Matching is a trademark of Seiko Epson Corporation.
The PRINT Image Matching logo is a trademark of Seiko Epson Corporation.
Design and Specifications are subject to change without notice.