May 20, 2009
PENTAX INTRODUCES ADVANCED PENTAX K-7 DIGITAL SLR
New Camera BoastsVariety of Technological Firsts and Major Improvements
Over Previous KSeries Cameras
GOLDEN,CO. (May 20, 2009)…PENTAX Imaging Company announced today the launch of thePENTAX K-7 digital SLR camera. Thislatest PENTAX K series camera is designed for advanced photographers seekinghigh-end design and features without the cost of a professional DSLR system.The PENTAX K-7 features a rugged, yet compact new body design, a new 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor rebuiltfrom the ground up, and advanced features such as HDMovie Capture and new, unique-to-PENTAX camera controls. Compatible with every PENTAX lens ever made,the high-end K-7 features an abundance of long-anticipated new and improved featuresthat are exclusive to the camera and combine to make it a tremendousphotography tool.
“The K-7 will appeal to many current PENTAXSLR photographers who have been asking for more advanced features, but in asmaller, solid, comfortable-to-hold body,” said Ned Bunnell, president, PENTAXImaging Company. “We also believe thecombination of the K-7’s smaller, high quality construction coupled with thegrowing line-up of our Limited compact prime lenses will appeal to seriousshooters who currently don’t own or previously hadn’t considered adding aPENTAX to their camera bag.”
Every PENTAXK-7 purchased includes an exclusive coupon for up to 15 percent savings on avariety of PENTAX products. More information about all of these productsis available at: www.pentaximaging.com and preorders may be placed now at www.pentaxwebstore.com. Enjoy a preview of the PENTAXK-7 and the advanced features the camera offers on the PENTAX youtube.comchannel http://www.youtube.com/pentaxian1. Images areavailable here: http://www.pentaximaging.com/press/pressfiles.html. Professional photographers interested inequipment loans may learn more about the PENTAX Pro Program by calling1-800-877-0155.
The mostsignificant features of the PENTAX K-7 that have never been offered before in anyK series digital camera, and in some cases any camera,include:
· Acompact, magnesium alloy body that is one of the smallest in the advanced photoenthusiast category to reduce bulk and allow users to travel light whilemaintaining durability and build quality (seven percent smaller than the K20Dand up to 25 percent smaller than other cameras in the same class).
· Anew 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor rebuilt from the ground up to minimize noise,adds four channel output for fast image capture, and the ability to capture HDquality movies. It is the idealcombination of resolution and file size, allowing very large (poster size andlarger) prints and cropping flexibility.
· Anew 77-segment metering system quickly and accurately determines exposure foreven the most complex and dynamic lighting situations.
· HDMovie capture features adjustable quality and resolution settings, aperturecontrol, as well as mechanical Shake Reduction, and an external microphoneterminal for recording stereo sound.* The K-7 will capture video at the defaultstandard of1280x720 resolution with a 16:9 aspectratio (equivalent to 720p), 1536x1024 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio, or640x416 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio (equivalent to VGA quality), allshot at 30 frames per second.
· AnHDMI port with selectable output resolution (1080i, 720p, 480p, and auto) offershigh resolution playback of images and video on modern high definition TV’s.
· ADedicated AF-assist lamp further improves autofocus response and accuracy inlow light conditions.
· AnElectronic Level function ensures that images have truly level horizons tominimize post-capture editing.
· Aninnovative in-camera Lens Correction function that electronically adjusts forDistortion and Lateral Chromatic Aberrations to maximize image quality with DAseries lenses.
· Adedicated Mirror Lock-up function eliminates image blur due to mirror movementduring long exposures.
· AHigh Dynamic Range (HDR) image capture mode captures three images then combinesthem in camera to widen the exposure gamut to bring out detail in all exposureareas of images.
· Acomposition adjustment feature in Live View allows minor shifts in the framing andcomposition of images using the Shake Reduction mechanism without having tophysically move the camera. This feature is ideal for tripod use.
· Aprogrammable embedded copyright function preserves artistic integrity and imageownership during capture via a keypad that may record ownership in metatag data.
*Due tothe compact size of the K-7 camera and the in-body Shake Reduction mechanism, acamera mounted microphone is a highly recommended accessory for optimal audioquality when capturing video.
Avariety of K series camera features that are significantly improved in thePENTAX K-7 include:
· Astriking 3 inch LCD with 921,000 dot resolution is perfect for detailed imageor movie capture and review using the Live View function.
· A weather, dust and cold resistant (to 14° F or-10° C) body makes the K-7 the perfectcamera for use in any environment, inside the studio or when travelling in anyweather.
· Fast5.2 frame-per-second shooting with a new PRIME II Image processing engine,which features fast circuitry and 4 channel output that is ideal for sportingevents or any fast action situation.
· Atop shutter speed of 1/8000 sec freezes even the fastest action in well litsettings.
· LiveView mode, now with contrast AF, Face Detection, and optional histogram, grid,and bright/dark area display, allows you to quickly compose your images withouthaving your eye against the viewfinder.
· A100 percent field-of-view viewfinder (92X magnification) and bright focusingscreen are ideal for accurate image composition and accurate focus.
· ThePENTAX 11-point autofocus system features improved focus algorithms overprevious generation K series DSLR cameras, providing faster, more responsiveAF.
· ThePENTAX-original Shake Reduction system now compensates for rotational sensormovement improving the sharpness of your images at the moment of capture.
· TheK-7’s Dust Reduction system, improved over previous K series cameras, featuresa piezo-ceramic vibration action to the sensor’s low-pass filter for dust-feeimage capture.
· Anew high capacity battery features extended battery life, ideal for travelphotography or video work.
· Advancedimage capture settings, digital filters, and aspect ratio provide outstandingflexibility and creativity while minimizing the need for computer imagemanipulation.
· CustomImage modes with advanced parameter settings including new Key adjustment allowusers to customize the processing mode to suit personal creative style.
OtherK series innovations featured on the PENTAX K-7 include:
· Multipleexposure settings, including Green, Program, Sv, Tv,Av, TAv, M, Bulb, X-sync, and USER modes, provide extensive creative controlover the exposure for photographers of all experience levels.
· Advancedwhite balance settings include highly customizable white balance fine tuning,color temperature adjustment, and post image capture manual white balanceselection for perfect pictures in even the most difficult lighting.
· DynamicRange setting with adjustable shadow correction brings out hidden or lostdetails in both highlights and shadows for even the highest-contrast, dynamiclighting.
· DedicatedPC socket for studio flash offers convenience for the studio photographerwithout adding hot shoe adapters.
· Advancedcapture options include multi-exposure and interval shooting for creativespecial effects and time-lapse photography.
Along with the body, PENTAX announced a D-BG4battery grip for exclusive use with the PENTAX K-7. This battery grip may be used in combinationwith the camera’s rechargeable lithium-ion battery to double camera’s batterylife. The D-BG4 also accepts 6 AAbatteries in a alternate battery tray for addedfreedom when shooting in the field. Witha vertical shutter-release button, e-dials, AE-lock and a new focus button, thegrip features the same weather-resistance, dustproof and coldproof constructionas the PENTAX K-7.
PENTAX alsoannounced two weather-resistant lens models developed specifically for PENTAXdigital SLRs. The smc DA 18-55mmF3.5-5.6 AL WR and the smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR kit lenses featureweather-resistant seals to handle damp, inclement conditions. Complementing K series camera bodies, bothlenses blend versatility with affordability, giving the casual photographer abroader canvas without having to carry a multitude of lenses.
The PENTAX K-7 body only willship in July 2009 for $1,299.95 USD. ThePENTAX D-BG4 battery grip also will ship in July 2009 for $229.95. The newest weather-resistant lenses will bepriced at $199.95 for the DA 18-55mm and $249.95 for the DA 50-200mm. These products also will ship in July 2009.
PENTAXImaging Company is an innovative leader in the production of a variety ofdigital cameras including weather resistant digital SLRs and compact,waterproof cameras, as well as lenses, flash units, binoculars, scopes, andeyepieces. For almost 90 years, PENTAXhas developed durable, reliable products that meet the needs of consumers andbusinesses. With headquarters in Golden, Colorado, PENTAX Imaging Companyis a division of PENTAX of America, Inc. # # #
PENTAX K-7 Fact Sheet
A durable, functional body, smaller than any other in its class
The K-7 is built exceptionally solid and durable with a chassismade of a highly rigid stainless-steel alloy and a housing made of a durablebut lightweight magnesium-steel alloy. Construction includes 77 seals for weather,dust and cold-resistance for reliable operation even under harsh conditions andat temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C). The camera also features a newly designedshutter unit providing a top shutter speed of 1/8000 second and the outstandingdurability to withstand 100,000 shutter releases.
Despite all these features, the K-7 is one ofthe most compact and functional photo enthusiast level models in the market.
The K-7 incorporates a newlydeveloped CMOS image sensor measuring 23.4mm by 15.6mm and featuring ahigh-speed, four-channel image data readout. With approximately 14.6 effectivemegapixels, this image sensor more accurately produces fine-detailed,gradation-rich images. With the adverse effects of digital noise significantlyreduced, the sensitivity may be increased from ISO 100 up to the highest levelof ISO 6400 (via a custom function).
High-performance, high-speed PRIME II imaging engine
The K-7 features the newlydeveloped PRIME (PENTAX Real Image Engine) II, an upgrade of the originalPRIME, as its imaging engine. This new imaging engine offers fasterdata-processing speed for higher quality images with richer gradation and moreaccurate color rendition. The systemalso offers high-speed movie data transmission.
High-quality movie recording at 1280 x 720 pixels;30-frames-per-second
The K-7 adds a new movierecording function, extending the benefits of SLR photography to the world ofmovie shooting: For instance, reduce the depth of field to make the subjectstand out, or use different lenses to create distinctive visual effects.Beautiful movie clips can recorded at different sizes — 640 x 416 pixels, 1536x 1024 pixels, or 1280 x 720 pixels (16:9 high-definition TV proportions) — ata frame rate of 30 frames per second. The K-7 is also equipped with an HDMIterminal and an external microphone input terminal for high quality sound tomatch your videos.
Large, easy-to-view 3.0 inch wide-view LCD monitor with 921,000dot resolution
The K-7 features a large 3.0 inchcolor LCD monitor with 921,000 dot resolution. The wide-view design allows thephotographer to check the monitor image from approximately 170 degrees bothvertically and horizontally, facilitating low and high-angle shooting using theLive View function.
High-speed continuous shooting at approx. 5.2 images per second
The high-speed continuousshooting mode captures as many as 40 images (in JPEG recording format) at amaximum speed of approximately 5.2 images per second, allowing photographers tofollow the movement of an active subject or preserve a sequence of thesubject’s expressions.
New 77-segment multi-pattern metering
Newly-developed for the K-7,a sophisticated 77-segment multi-pattern metering system greatly improveslight-metering accuracy. By accurately analyzing various types of data (such asthe image’s composition and format between upright and horizontal, and thesubject’s distance and magnification) transmitted from the sensors in thecamera body, this system greatly improves the accuracy of exposure control.
Live View image confirmation with Face Recognition AF andhigh-speed continuous shooting modes
The K-7 features the LiveView function, which allows the user to view the image on the LCD monitorduring shooting. This function isavailable not only in the Contrast AF mode, which optimizes the focus based onthe subject’s contrast, but also in the Face Recognition AF mode, whichautomatically and accurately focuses on the subject’s face. A newly developed diaphragm-control mechanismallows the Live View function be used during Continuous Shooting mode with themirror at lock-up position.
Optical viewfinder provides 100 percent field of view
The K-7 glass prism finder offers 100 percent field of view and anapproximately 0.92X magnification to facilitate focusing and framingoperations. A new Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen improves focusingaccuracy during manual-focus operation.
New 11-point wide-frame AFsensor
The K-7’s new SAFOX VIII Pluswide-frame autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-typesensors positioned in the middle). By adding the light source type to its datarange, and driven by a greatly improved algorithm, PENTAX improved the AFsystem assuring reliable, responsive autofocus operation superior in speed andaccuracy to the previous system. The K-7 also incorporates an AF-assistspotbeam projector in its built-in flash unit to improve autofocusing accuracyin the dark.
Next-generation Shake Reduction mechanism*
The K-7 features thePENTAX-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensatesthe adverse effect of camera shake by approximately 2.5 to 4 shutter stops,assuring sharp, blur-free images even under demanding shooting conditions. Thisinnovative mechanism is compatible with all PENTAX interchangeable lenses everproduced. This new-generation versionallows complete shift freedom, including rotationally, of the image-sensorregardless of the camera’s inclination. The mechanism also provides user-friendly new functions such asAutomatic Level Adjustment and Minute Angle Adjustment (up/down, right/left andclockwise/counterclockwise) to help photographers compose images exactly totheir specifications.
* Lensescompatible with this mechanism are the PENTAX K-, KA-, KAF-,KAF2- and KAF3-mount lenses; screw-mounted lenses (withan adapter); and 645- and 67-system lenses (with an adapter). Some functionsmay not be available with certain lenses.
New DR II mechanism to minimize dust spots
The K-7 is equipped with a newlydeveloped Dust Removal (DR II) mechanism to more effectively remove dust and minimizespots on recorded images even after changing lenses in dust-prone outdoorsettings. Using a piezo-ceramicvibration action, the system shifts or vibrates the low-pass filter located infront of the CMOS image sensor at supersonic speed to remove dust more efficiently. A unique dust-alert system also allows usersto check for dust adhering to the low-pass filter prior to actual shooting.
Custom Image function to easily create desired visual effects
The K-7’s Custom Image function lets the user control the image’s finishingtouch to capture their photographic intention, or reproduce the ambience of thescene. With the K-7, the user can select one of seven modes, including the new“Muted” mode designed to recreate an image with delicate, subdued colors. Inaddition to saturation, tone, contrast and sharpness, the function now makes itpossible to adjust “key” and “contrast highlight/shadow” to the desired levels.The effects of these factors may be effortlessly confirmed on a preview imageusing the Digital Preview or Live View function before finalizing the settings.
Versatile exposure system for exceptionalreproduction of creative intentions
TheK-7’s Hyper Program function allows users to instantly switch to the Shutter-or Aperture-Priority AE mode from the Programmed AE mode, with a simple turn ofthe electronic dials on the grip. To return to the Programmed AE mode, simplypress the green button positioned next to the shutter release button.
When shooting in Manualmode, a single push of the green button allows the user to instantly set theproper exposure for the subject.
TheK-7 features a unique Sensitivity-Priority (Sv) mode, which is designed toautomatically select the optimum combination of aperture and shutter speed fora user-selected sensitivity. The sensitivity can be shifted instantly in 1/2 or1/3 steps by turning the electronic dial on the back panel.
Takingfull advantage of the unique capability of digital cameras permitting automaticshift of sensitivity at any time, the Shutter/Aperture-Priority (TAv) modeautomatically selects the most appropriate sensitivity for a user-selectedshutter-speed/aperture combination. This allows the user to experiment with agreater range of photographic expressions with great ease.
Powerful rechargeable battery
The K-7 is powered by a large-capacity, rechargeable lithium-ionbattery, which can capture approximately 980 images* when fully charged.
*Under testing conditions prescribed byPENTAX, when using a rechargeable D-LI90 lithium-ion battery with no flash.
· HDR (high dynamic range)function to create one composite image with an extra-wide gradation range fromthree images with different exposures
· Dynamic-range expansionfunction to compensate for both white-washed(overexposed) and blacked-out (underexposed) areas
· Digital level function foreasy checking of the image’s levels
· Automatic compensation ofdistortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA-and DFA-series lenses)
· White balance control,featuring a new CTE mode to emphasize the color components of sunset scenes anda new incandescent-tinted fluorescent light mode
· Multi-exposure function, witha superimposition of already-recorded images on the LCD monitor for at-a-glancecomparison
· Attachment of copyrightcredits on recorded images
· RAW button for single-actionswitching of image file format
· 16 digital filters to add arange of visual effects; a new function to recordan overwritten history also available
· Color-specific controlbuttons/dials for easy recognition and quick access, based on the universal colordesign
· PENTAX Digital Camera Utility4 software package, including a RAW-data processing application (based on thepopular SILKYPIX RAW-data processing engine developed by Ichikawa SoftLaboratory) and a browser application
Battery Grip D-BG4
Exclusively designed for thePENTAX K-7 camera body, the Battery Grip D-BG4 is powered by a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery orsix AA-size batteries. Since it supplements the camera’s battery as anadditional power source, the number of recordable images is greatly increased.To facilitate vertical-position shooting, this grip features extrashutter-release button, preview lever, electronic dials, AE-lock button, Green button and AF button. It also provides the samedustproof, weather- and cold-resistant construction as the camera body itself.
PENTAX, K-7, andPENTAX Digital Camera Utility are trademarks of HOYA CORPORATION.
HDMI, the HDMI Logo andHigh-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks ofHDMI Licensing LLC.
All other brands orproduct names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respectivecompanies.
Designs andspecifications are subjects to change without notice.